Thoughts on Peru.
The Andes really are enormous. The Amazon is hot and fascinating and Peru oozes Latino spirit. Generous with their time and good humour the Peruvians know how to host. With the sheer scale, beauty, variety of landscapes and climates it’s hard not to be as staggered by this country as you are when confronted with the giant city of Lima.
1. Santa Catalina Monastery in Arequipa built from volcanic Sillar stone
2. the citadel of Machu Picchu and dry stone walling
3. the rock-carved stairs of the Temple of the Sun and carved stone water channels
4. a view over the plains and stone piles marking the highest point on the road at 4910 metres above sea level on the high plains of the Andes
5. reeds are the only building material used to make the floating islands and houses on Lake Titicaca.